If, like me, you’re all about healthy eating, it can be near impossible to find sweets and chocolate that fit the bill. So, I took the opinion that if you don’t want to join them, beat them and set out to create my own, HEALTHY chocolate. In this recipe, there’s no need for artery-clogging milk fat, refined sugars, preservatives or artificial additives. Instead, these little beauties are packed full of energy, protein, antioxidants, and healthy alternatives. They’re vegan, gluten free, organic, all natural and have a low glycemic index which makes them the ideal sweet treat to satisfy your cravings but won’t leave you hankering for more. Now these cheeky chocs already have the texture of black velvet but to add a little pizzazz and colour, I added an assortment of toppings which gave them kind of a bespoke look to match their bespoke taste.
Here’s what you need to get your own:
- 3/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 2 cups organic, fair trade, cocoa powder
- natural sea salt flakes (to taste)
- 3 tsp natural, organic vanilla essence
- organic coconut sugar (1/4 cup or to taste)
- assorted toppings. Think nuts, berries, spices etc.
- silicone ice cube tray
What to do:
- Combine coconut oil, cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla in a metal bowl.
- Suspended bowl over a pan of boiling water on very low heat.
- Stir constantly until you have a smooth liquid.
- Add a pinch of salt and taste. Add more salt as necessary.
- Spoon mixture into the ice cube tray and sprinkle with toppings. I used fresh grated ginger, desiccated coconut, chili powder, and chopped pistachios which work really well with the bitterness of the chocolate. It’s more fun if you combine flavours and make each one unique. Go on, where’s your sense of adventure?!
- When you’re all decorated out, place the tray in the freezer for 20 minutes then pop them out and enjoy!
You’ll find these little drops of black velvet keep forever in the fridge despite having no preservatives. This is partly thanks to coconut oil’s high resistance to rancidity…. not that they’ll last long enough for you to find out! Just one more magical gift from nature so why not give it a try?! What will you use to top yours?